Istanbul Şehir University, established in 2008 by the Foundation for Sciences and Arts (BSV), will open doors to its very first students in the 2010-2011 academic year with 4 faculties and 10 departments. It is our vision to become one of the most prestigious and renowned research and teaching institutions in Turkey and in the world. Istanbul Şehir University invites international applicants to come study in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Duration of Study: At our university, as is the common practice in Turkey, undergraduate programs are 4 years. However, you may shorten this time by taking courses in summer school.
- Language of Instruction: The medium of instruction at our university is English. Students whose English level is not sufficient will go through one year of English Preparatory Program.
- Structure of Education: Undergraduate programs are 4 years. All undergraduate programs will follow a common core curriculum in the first year of study. Upon successful completion of first year, students will be given the option to change their departments.
- Double Major and Minor Opportunities: Under the Double Major Program you may follow two undergraduate programs and receive two diplomas. With our Minor Programs, you will be able to receive a certificate that supports your major.
- Scholarships: It has been decided that the entire quota of international students entering our university in the 2010-2011 academic year will be given a full scholarship (including tuition fees, accommodation and health insurance).
- Accommodation: International students entering our university for the 2010-2011 academic year will be provided rooms in our dormitories free of charge.
- Health Services and Insurance: Our university will provide health insurance for all international students in the 2010-2011 academic year.
GENERAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
All international students* must be either graduates or in their final year of schools equivalent to Turkish High Schools. The requirements explained below must also be met.
* Applicants who fit the descriptions listed below will not be considered to have international student status:
Citizens of Turkey and the T.R.N.C., citizens of either Turkey or the TRNC with dual-citizenship, those with dual-citizenship who revoke their Turkish or TRNC citizenship after 2011 and complete all of their high school in Turkey or the TRNC, Turkish citizens who complete their high school education in the TRNC, anyone expelled for a disciplinary measure from a higher education instution in Turkey.
Applicants may apply online or via mail between the dates specified below by the Rectorate to the Student Affairs Office. Explanations and updates regarding the applications will be announced on the university’s website.
Istanbul Şehir University 2010-2011 Academic Year
Undergraduate Student Quotas
|Department||Total Student Quota||Turkish Quota||International Student Quota|
|The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Political Science and International Relations||33||30||3|
|Turkish Language and Literature||23||20||3|
|The Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||38||35||3|
|The Faculty of Business and Management|
|The Faculty of Communications|
|Cinema and Television||33||30||3|
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR APPLICATION
- Undergraduate Application Form for international students (for the form, please click here),
- Certified English or Turkish translation of your diploma (if available) (your original diploma and a certificate showing equivalency to the Turkish high school diploma will be requested at registration),
- Certified English or Turkish translation of your transcript (the document, approved by the school administration showing high school courses taken and grades received by the applicant),
- Certified English or Turkish translation of your national ID card or passport,
- A copy of your exam results (if available) indicating English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, etc),
- One passport size photo (4.5cm x 6 cm),
- Certified English or Turkish translation of one of the test results (if any) listed below
7.1. Gold, silver and bronze medals taken from International Science Olympiads recognized and participated in by TÜBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey),
7.2. YÖS (Examination for Foreign Students) Basic Learning Skills test score of at least 50 out of 80 standard points,
7.3. TCS (Turkish Republics with Turks and Related Communities Test) score of at least 50 points,
7.4. SAT I (Scholastic Assessment Test) score of at least 1000 total points and a Math score of at least 500,
7.5. ACT (American College Test) Math, Science Reasoning and Composite score of at least 21 points,
7.6. GCE (General Certificate Education) test with at least 3 subjects related to the department to which you are applying at the A level,
7.7. International Baccalaureate diploma grade of at least 30,
7.8. German ABITUR test score of at least 4 points,
7.9. French Baccalaureate diploma grade of at least 10,
7.10. Matura diploma grade of at least 2,
7.11. Tawjihi of Jordan and Palestine test score average of at least 70 for all classes in the Scientific Stream,
7.12. Lebanese Baccalaureate (Baccalauréat Libanais) diploma grade of at least 60 out of 100 or 13 out of 20 for tests in the Scientific Stream.
7.13. Al-Shahada al-Thanawiyya (Baccalaureate) of Syria test score average of at least 170 out of 240 in the Scientific Stream, 165 in the Literary Stream, and 25 in the Language Stream,
7.14. High School Diploma of Iran (Diploma Debirestan) average of at least 15/20 and Pishdaneshgahi score of at least 15/20,
7.15. National University Test of Kazakhstan score of at least 90 out of 120,
7.16. Gaokaonda-University Entrance Exam of the People’s Republic of China score of at least 500 out of 750,
7.17. Besides the above listed exams, applicants may be evaluated by Istanbul Şehir University based on their high school diploma grade and university entrance exam results from their countries.The validity period of exams taken upon completion of high school (Abitur, International Baccalaureate, GCE, Tawjihi, etc.) is unlimited. However, the results of other university entrance exams (SAT I and ACT) and YÖS are valid for only two years.
The evaluation of applications and the placement of applicants will be carried out by the Istanbul Şehir University Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee may accept some applicants who have fulfilled the requirements after preliminary consideration. Applicants without any test results, if considered appropriate, will be called to take the International Students Entrance Exam.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
The names of accepted candidates will be announced on the university’s web site and applicants will be notified online. Students who confirm the notification will be sent a letter of acceptance via mail and online. Applicants must then present their acceptance letter, together with all other required forms, to the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in their countries to receive a student visa.
Students admitted to our university must register in person at the date specified below by the Student Affairs Office. Registration cannot be done via mail.
You must bring the following documents with you for registration:
- Original copy of your high school diploma and its translated English or Turkish copy certified by the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country,
- A Certificate of Equivalency for your high school diploma: a certificate issued either by the Ministry of National Education of Turkey or the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country indicating that your high school diploma is equivalent to Turkish high school diploma,
- Original copy of test results submitted in application and its English or Turkish translation certified by the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country,
- A certified Turkish translation of your passport,
- Six (6) passport size (4.5 cm x 6cm) photos,
- A photocopy of your student visa obtained from the Turkish Embassy or Consulate in your country.
To complete the registration, international students must obtain their Residence Permit from the Foreign Branch of the Istanbul Police Department and submit photocopies of the relevant pages to the Student Affairs Office.
APPLICATION, EVALUATION AND REGISTRATION DATES:
- Application dates: June 28 – August 2 (Monday), 2010.
- Preliminary evaluation: August 3 – August 6, 2010.
- Exam: August 12 (Thursday) 2010.
- Announcement of the Exam Results: August 16 (Monday), 2010.
- Registration dates: August 31 – September 3, 2010.
FOR APPLICATION and MORE INFORMATION:
Mailing address: Istanbul Şehir University, Student Affairs Office, Ahmet Bayman Cad. No. 2, Seyrantepe-Şişli, Istanbul, Turkey
Tel: + 90 212 444 40 34,
Fax: 90 212 282 66 27;
Email: [email protected]
Istanbul Şehir University does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race and religion.
78 total views, 2 views today