The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) scheme is funded by the Australian Government and provides tuition fees to top quality international postgraduate students who wish to enrol in a research degree at Australian universities.
Applications are assessed on academic merit and research potential. In addition to the IPRS, the University of Sydney awards an International Postgraduate Award (IPA) to IPRS holders. The IPA provides a stipend/living allowance to all IPRS recipients.
The IPRS is available to students commencing in both the March and July Semesters. Students must indicate that they would like to be considered for the IPRS by completing the relevant section of the Postgraduate Research Application form (271kb pdf). To be considered for the award, applications MUST be received by the International Student Office by:
– 31 July of the previous year for Semester 1 (March) commencement
– 31 December of the previous year for Semester 2 (July) commencement
To be eligible for the IPRS, you must:
- Be an international student commencing full time enrolment in a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) at this University.
If you commenced your HDR in the previous year, but due to the timing of your application and subsequent enrolment were unable to be considered for an IPRS, you may apply and be considered for an IPRS during the current round of IPRS application.
Students in this situation should complete the IPRS Special Application Form (112kb pdf). This form MUST be received at the International Student Office by 31 August of the current year.
- Be a student undertaking study in a subject area identified by the University as within the areas of its current and emerging research strengths.
- Not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree, or, if undertaking a Research Master’s degree, not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
- Not have held an AusAID scholarship within two years prior to commencing the IPRS.
- Not be receiving a scholarship for which course tuition is a component under any other scholarship scheme to which the Australian Government makes a substantial contribution.
- Not previously have received an IPRS, unless the previous IPRS was for a Master by Research degree that you have completed and you are now applying for a doctorate research degree.
The University awards approximately 30 IPRS awards each year. Successful candidates will be notifed in:
– late October/early November for Semester 1 (March) commencement
– April for Semester 2 (July) commencement
Note that only successful applicants will be notified.
In addition to the IPRS awards, commencing students may also be considered for the University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS). The USydIS is open to all research disciplines, however participation in the USydIS program each semester is at the discretion of the Dean of each Faculty. No application form for the USydIS is required and eligible applicants will be considered during the IPRS selection process in October/November for scholarships to commence in Semester 1 (March), and in early April for scholarships to commence in Semester 2 (July).
The USydIS will cover tuition fees and a living allowance similar to the IPRS.
For more detailed information about both IPRS and USydIS awards, please consult pages 11 and 12 of the Postgraduate Research Application form (271kb pdf).
Application Deadline : 31 May 2011
43 total views, 1 views today